Mr. James DOWNES
Teaching Assistant: James Downes holds a BA in Government (First Class Honours) and a Master’s in Political Science from the Department of Government at the University of Essex. Previously, he has been a Visiting Researcher at the European Union Academic Programme Hong Kong (HKBU), the Brussels School of International Studies (Belgium) and as a Visiting Student at the Chinese University of Hong Kong. He has also completed Quantitative Methods Training in Multilevel Modelling at Oxford University and is an Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. James is currently finishing off his PhD in Comparative Politics at the University of Kent and is a recipient of the 50th Anniversary Scholarship. His dissertation examines the party competition between mainstream center right and extreme right-wing parties in Europe on immigration in the context of the 2008-2013 economic crisis. James recently worked as a Research Assistant for Professor Matthew Goodwin on the UK in a Changing Europe project and the EU Referendum Events Project, receiving ESRC and British Academy Funding. He also serves as Director of British & European Politics at the London Think Tank Parliament Street and has recently provided media commentary for France 24, Radio Television Hong Kong TV and the Chinese General Chamber of Commerce.
- Populist Radical Right and Center Right Party Competition on the Salience of Immigration: Evidence from the 2008-2013 Economic Crisis in Europe (with Matthew Loveless) (Working Paper/Under review)
2017. “The Reluctant Europeans: British Exceptionalism from 1973-2016.” (with Christopher Hanley). Politika, Department of Politics and Public Administration. The University of Hong Kong.
- 2017. "A New Form of Politics: Brexit, The Campaign War and the Importance of the Immigration Issue.” Smart Government: A Parliament Street Guide to Better, More Efficient Government (with Chris Hanley) (Ed: Patrick J. Sullivan, Najjar, Nabil, H.) Delta Strategies Limited, (Forthcoming in Parliament Street, 2017).
- 2017. “Mainland Chinese Immigration in Hong Kong: Analyzing anti-immigrant sentiment.” In: Lam, Wai-man and Luke Cooper. ‘Citizenship, Identity, and Social Movements in the New Hong Kong’ (Forthcoming in Routledge, 2017).
- 2016. (with Matthew Goodwin, Caitlin Milazzo, and Laura Sudulich). “Both sides pitching to the converted” (The Times – 11th April 2016).
- 2016. (with Matthew Loveless) “The 2008-2013 Economic Crisis in Europe: Extreme Right-Wing and Center Right Party Competition on the Salience of Immigration.” (Forthcoming working paper for the European Union Academic Programme Hong Kong).
- 2015. “Playing the Immigration Card? Extreme Right-Wing Party Strategy during the 2008-2013 Economic Crisis in Europe.” European Union Academic Programme Hong Kong (Working Paper Series).
- 2015. “The 2015 British General Election: Core Battlegrounds” (with Chris Hanley) TNS opinion, Brussels.
- 2015. “Immigration and border control: breaking free from the EU?” (with Mo Metcalf-Fisher) Smart Government: A Parliament Street Guide to Better, More Efficient Government (Ed: Patrick J. Sullivan, Najjar, Nabil, H.) Delta Strategies Limited, March 2015, ISBN: 978-0-9932230-0-6
- 2015. “Can UKIP become a ‘Major Force’ in British Politics?” Parliament Street Policy Paper.
- 2013. “What explains the rise of Minor Parties in the United Kingdom since 1997?” University of Essex Student Research Journal, 6(1): pp. 37-51.
Selected Conference Presentations
- “The Migration Crisis in Europe: Implications for the EU Project And Beyond” Panel at the European Union Academic Programme Hong Kong (EUAP): 29th February 2016 (with Simon Shen, Hans-Werner Hess and Krzysztof Sliwinski)
Loveless, Matthew, Stephen Whitefield and James Downes. “Crisis Rewards Clarity: Party Appeals, National Context and Electoral Performance in Europe: Before and After the 2008 Economic Crisis” Paper presented at the Oxford and Sciences Po Paris LIEPP Workshop, “Party Position, Salience and Political Outcomes” (France): October 16th 2015.
Loveless, Matthew, Stephen Whitefield and James Downes. “Left, Right, and Center: Party Appeals and Performance in Europe at the Onset of the 2008 Economic Crisis” Paper presented at the Department of Developmental, Personality and Social Psychology, University of Ghent Political Psychology Workshop (Belgium): 10-11 June 2015.
“Playing the Immigration Card? The Extreme Right during times of Economic Crisis” Paper presented at the MPSA Annual Conference. Chicago, IL (USA): 16-19 April 2015.
Loveless, Matthew, Stephen Whitefield and James Downes. “Left, Right, and Center: Party Appeals and Performance in Europe at the Onset of the 2008 Economic Crisis” Paper presented at the MPSA Annual Conference. Chicago, IL (USA): 16-19 April 2015.
Loveless, Matthew, Stephen Whitefield and James Downes. “Left, Right, and Center: Citizens’ Perceptions of Inequality and the Polarization of Politics in Europe” Paper presented at the American Political Science Association Annual Meeting. Washington, DC (USA): 28-31 Aug 2014.
Selected Media Commentary