Dr. Derek M. C. YUEN 袁彌昌
Honorary Lecturer: Dr. Derek Yuen was educated at University of Hong Kong (BSocSc), London School of Economics and Political Science (MSc History and Theory of International Relations), and University of Reading (PhD in Strategic Studies). He is the author of Deciphering Sun Tzu: How to Read The Art of War (New York: Oxford University Press; London: Hurst) and is currently working on a book manuscript on strategic thought of Mao Zedong. His research interests include Chinese and Western strategic thought, Taoist strategic thinking, geopolitics, grand strategy, and Chinese and US foreign policies.
- Deciphering Sun Tzu: How to Read The Art of War (New York: Oxford University Press; London: Hurst, 2014).
- “The Genesis of Sun Tzu: The Art of War,” in Donovan Chau and Thomas Kane (eds.), China and International Security: History, Strategy, and 21st Century Policy (Santa Barbara, CA: Praeger, 2014).
- “The System of Chinese Strategic Thought,” Comparative Strategy, Vol. 29, Issue 3, July 2010, pp. 245-259.
- “The Methodology of Sino-Japanese Relations Studies: A Taoist View,” Journal of Next Generation Asian Forum, No. 3, March 2010, pp. 94-104.
- “Deciphering Sun Tzu,” Comparative Strategy, Vol. 27, Issue 2, pp. 183-200.