Professor Ian THYNNE
Visiting Professor; and visitor, Crawford School of Public Policy, Australian National University
BA, BA(Hons), PhD, Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand.
Taught and researched public governance, policy, administration and management in New Zealand, Australia, Fiji, Papua New Guinea, Singapore and Hong Kong.
Co-editor of the Asia Pacific Journal of Public Administration and Public Administration and Development.
- “Fundamentals of Government Structure: Alignments of Organizations at and beyond the Center of Power”, in W R Thompson (ed), Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Politics, Oxford University Press, New York, 2018.
- “A Mixed Public-Private Telecommunication Company of Public Significance: Management Challenges in Staff Ownership and Integrity”, Public Money and Management, 2017.
- “Governance and Leadership”, in A Farazmand (ed), Global Encyclopedia of Public Administration, Public Policy, and Governance, Springer, New York, 2017.
- “Alignments of Instruments and Action in Governance: A Synthesis – Revisited and Extended”, Asia Pacific Journal of Public Administration, 38(1), 2016.
- “Alignments of Instruments and Action in Governance: A Synthesis”, Asia Pacific Journal of Public Administration, 37(4), 2015.
- "Addressing the Present and the Future in Government and Governance: Three Approaches to Organising Public Action" (written with B G Peters), Public Administration and Development, 35(2), 2015.
- “In Celebration of Public Administration: The Sustaining Significance of Power – Introductory Perspectives”, Asia Pacific Journal of Public Administration, 36(1), 2014.
- “Symposium on Governance and Organizational Eclecticism: Diverse Ownership, Regulation and Performance in the Public Arena”, Public Organization Review, 13(2), 2013 (guest edited). Wrote one of the eleven articles: “Governance and Organizational Eclecticism in the Public Arena: Introductory Perspectives”.
- “Globalism and Constellational Governance: Challenges for Service in the Global Public Interest” (written with A Massey), in D Argyriades & G Timsit (eds), Moving Beyond the Crisis: Reclaiming and Reaffirming our Common Administrative Space, Bruylant, Brussels, 2013.
- “Institutional Maturity and Challenges for Integrity Bodies”, Policy Studies, 33(1), 2012.
- “Dynamics of Public Ownership and Regulation”, Special Issue of Policy Studies, 32(3), 2011 (guest edited with R Wettenhall). Wrote one of the eight articles: “Ownership as an Instrument of Policy and Understanding in the Public Sphere: Trends and Research Agenda”.
- “Symposium on Governance and Civic Engagement in the Asia-Pacific Region”, Public Administration and Development, 31(2), 2011 (guest edited with E Lee). Wrote (with E Lee) one of the six articles: “Symposium Introduction: Dynamics of Governance and Civic Engagement”.
- “Symposium on the Global Financial Crisis, Governance and Institutional Dynamics”, Public Organization Review, 11(1), 2011 (guest edited). Wrote one of the six articles: “Symposium Introduction: The Global Financial Crisis, Governance and Institutional Dynamics”.
- “Symposium on Ownership in the Public Sphere”, International Journal of Public Policy, 5(1), 2010 (guest edited with R Wettenhall). Wrote (with R Wettenhall) one of the six articles: “Ownership in the Public Sphere: The Significance of Community and Organisational Form”.
- “Leaders and Leadership in Administrative Reform”, in J Pierre and P W Ingraham (eds),Comparative Administrative Change and Reform: Lessons Learned, McGill-Queen’s University Press, Montreal, 2010 – a Festschrift in honour of B Guy Peters.
- “The Reform of the Northern Territory Correctional Services: Process, Content and Challenges”,Public Administration Today, Issue 19, 2009.
- “Global Governance: Prospects and Challenges” (written with A Massey), in I Pichardo Pagaza and D Argyriades (eds),Winning the Needed Change: Saving Our Planet Earth – A Global Public Service, IOS Press, Amsterdam, 2009.
- “Symposium on Climate Change, Governance and Environmental Services”, Public Administration and Development, 28(5), 2008 (guest edited). Wrote one of the seven articles: “Symposium Introduction – Climate Change, Governance and Environmental Services: Institutional Perspectives, Issues and Challenges”.
- “Symposium on Statutory Bodies in Hong Kong and Singapore: Issues and Cases of Organizational Autonomy and Integration”, Public Organization Review, 6(3), 2006 (guest edited with I Scott). Wrote one of the eight articles: “Statutory Bodies: How Distinctive and In What Ways?”
- “Statutory Bodies as Instruments of Government in Hong Kong: Review Beginnings and Analytical Challenge Ahead”, Public Administration and Development, 26(1), 2006.
- “Privatisation by Divestment”, in B G Peters and J Pierre (eds),Handbook of Public Policy, Sage, London, 2006.